Saturday, March 6, 2010

At the end of the World

Wow, way too long ago I updated here... But I have good excuses. No, really, I do!

To do a little recap of what has been going on in Bora Bora, at the end of the world...

We FINALLY moved to the house and the first week was mostly cleaning (not that it was very dirty, but still) and trying to get settled. I chased several geckos that had moved in to the house while it was empty and I think I got most of them out. They are much smarter than you might think... I chased one out the front door (underneath the door) and then went out on my terrace to relax. After a few moments (we have a "wrap around" terrace from the front door to the terrace) the little creature came running around the corner to try to get in through the terrace door. When he saw me (and I saw him) he stopped and looked at me and like he was saying "SHIT", turned around and ran down towards the front door... I don't think so, so I ran in and guarded the door with the broom!

We also FINALLY got some wheels to take us up and down the hill and around the island. I think it is, no let me rephrase, it is the ugliest car I have ever had! But it is kind of charming at the same time. It's blue, it runs and it takes us from A to B which is a great improvement! See below (Renault Twingo, 2001)


It was my birthday this past weekend and on Saturday we went to Pearl Beach Resort for 1 night. When we arrived there we found out that there had been a Tsunami warning the same morning at 5 am through out the island (big alarm, although we heard nothing!). The sun actually came out so we went swimming before lunch, and then we took a round of mini golf (which I won!!) and then we went snorkeling in the coral nursery and saw many pretty fishes. They are so used to people there so they come right up and are not afraid at all.. They even take a little nibble at you to check out who you are.

After that we took a dip in the jacuzzi at the room and then chilled in the room in front of the TV! So exciting, as we don't have TV (yet) at the house! My channel is CNN! Only English speaking channel (except the movie channel when they show an English movie). Then we had dinner at the restaurant, and it was kind of funny... We were the last ones there, we finished at 9:30pm and by that time it seemed like all the restaurant staff had gone home!

So, we finally got the phone line at home (and I have a cell phone too!), it only took over 2 weeks to get, and it works! Now we are waiting for internet (will probably take at least another week) so I can be connected to the world again. And we are really at the end of the world here... The internet connection is not like anywhere else in the world (fast!) and we are still on the old system... The new cable from Hawaii (I guess that would be broad band. I don't know the right terminology in this area) should arrive this summer. But seriously.... It's 2010! When we picked the internet package we had to choose what speed we wanted and how much down loads we wanted! And it cost a fortune too...

And of course my computer crashed! It has been acting up for the last 10 months (on and off) and I was really good at talking my self out of buying a new computer while I was in St. Martin (remember, St. Martin is duty free, so cheaper!). I thought, "It's not that bad..." Well, guess what.. It was... And now I'm not even sure I will find one around here... I can just imagine what kind of laptops they have here.. "New arrival.. Laptop from 1989!" Great!

Rain season is in full action and I have a new waterfall behind the house in the mountain!  It shoots out from the mountain side, and it's very nice! As long as it does not come close to the house, I'm happy!

Anyway, it's a quick update on the island life here at the end of the world! Hopefully I should be re-connected with the rest of the world soon!

Cheers my friends!

Camilla

No comments:

Post a Comment