Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Heiva Festival

The festival has begun!

This past Friday was the opening of the long awaited Heiva festival in
Bora Bora, which include dance and song competitions (A good blog
post describing the festival: http://www.boraborasnackbar.com/blogdetail/10-06-24/Heiva_I_Bora_Bora_2010.aspx
).

The locals has transformed the usually sleepy (and quite depressing)
Vaitape into a a fun and "tourist friendly" place to enjoy day or
evening.

The dirt parking lot has been transformed into a traditional, local
wood village with restaurants, shops and game rooms. They have fixed
up the landscaping and added plenty of benches to sit on, and nice
white sand with young palm trees has been brought in which gives you
the feeling like you are on the beach. They even got the fire trucks
out to clean the asphalt!

The locals has worked hard to get it ready and for once, I have to
say, they did a great job. I only wish they would keep it for the rest
of the 11 months of the year. It looks so much more attractive for the
tourists! But no, why making the island nicer and enhancing the
tourist experience??

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see the dance competitions and for once
see people out and about! Something is happening in town!

Cheers my friends!

Camilla

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Camilla! I'm traveling to Bora Bora from Vancouver, Canada and will be there by this Friday. This will be my third trip and I can hardly WAIT to witness the spectacle of Heiva. My question is this, is there a schedule that shows when the dance competitions are being held?? I'm only in Bora for four days before moving on, and I really hope I don't miss it like I did on my previous visits. Cheers, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is a schedule and you are lucky! There are shows on Thursday, Friday and Saturday! The song starts at 8pm and last for about 1 hour. If you can get a pass for seats I would reccomend it. If you stay at a hotel they might have tickets.
    Also don't forget Sunday. There is a solar eclipse in the morning. Hopefully it's a clear sky! It starts at 7:13am (maximum at 8:23am) and the eclipse is 93.7% in Bora Bora! Where are you staying? Have a safe trip and let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

    ReplyDelete