Saturday, May 8, 2010

I live on the Kurrekurredutt Island

Even though you might not be Swedish, you must have heard or read about Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump) the little girl with red pony tales standing straight out and strong like no one else! She lives in Sweden in Villa Villekulla with her monkey, Mr. Nilsson (Herr Nilsson) and her horse Old Man (Lilla Gubben). The stories are written by Astrid Lindgren, a phenomenal story teller! Astrid Lindgren has written many of my favorite childhood stories, which I know will be read to my children one day.


Pippi's dad, Efraim Longstocking, was a sailor and Captain of the ship Hoppetossa but was believed to have been lost at sea. As it turns out, Captain Longstocking survived and was washed ashore on the Kurrekurredutt Island in the South Sea, where he was made the "fat white chief" by its cannibal, native people.


So, where is the Kurrekurredutt Island? 

I want to believe that I live on the Kurrekurredutt island here in the South Sea! After all, stories tell that they were cannibals here, a long time ago! 

However, it is believed that Astrid Lindgren was inspired by the Swedish sailor Carl Emil Pettersson who went to sea in 1892. While sailing in the South Sea the ship went down outside the Tabar Islands but he survived and managed to get on land. There he married the native chief's daughter with whom he had 9 children. According to an article on DN.se (www.dn.se/resor/papua/kurrekurredutton-i-verkligheten-1.67525) Carl was later made to King/Chief after the death of his wives father. He lived on the island and had coconut farms and it is also said he found lots of gold. He died of a heart attack in 1937 in Australia. 

Cheers my friends!

Camilla on the Kurrekurredutt Island



2 comments:

  1. I remember watching the TV series of Pippi Langstrumpf as a child!! She was like a hero to me, buing out a candyshop once to share the sweets with her friends - all for a gold coin that I believe she had from her dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she had a big bag with gold coins at home from her dad! Wish I had that too! Pippi is just one of Astrid Lindgrens amazing kids stories! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete