Monday, May 10, 2010

Another vet bill

On Sunday morning Coco became sick. After feeding at 6am as usual, he
then suddenly started to get everything he had in him out, on both
ways. He didn't want to drink the water and he started to look bad. He
was so skinny, dehydrated and looked so sad. I have read that,
specially a young puppy as Coco, can be gone within 24h when dehydrated.

So, Sundays are the holy day here on the island and nothing is open.
Same with the vet's office. But we managed to get a hold of the vet
assistant who told us to take Coco down and they would open the clinic
for me. So off I went with the puppy in a Heineken box (yea, Heineken
is much consumed at this house).

Finally there they took him in for observation and at 6pm they called
and said he looked a little better but would have to stay overnight
for further observation.

Finally today I got to pick him up and he was back to normal Coco,
except still skinny. As soon as we got home he ran around like a crazy
dog and he was so excited that he managed to get up all 5 steps to the
house by him self.

Now he's eating and drinking good and I bet he's happy to be home! At
least I am!

Hopefully he will stay okej now as those vet bills, on top of the
regular stuff, is not so fun to pay. But what don't you do for your
little furball!

Cheers my friends!

Camilla

Sent from my iTouch

5 comments:

  1. You're such a good puppy mommy!! Coco is so lucky to have you guys take such great care of him! It sounds like you've been taking care of dogs for so long! You're a puppy mommy pro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I also have a friend in Sweden which I email about anything and everything! Great help! But I got so worried yesterday. He really didn't feel well. My heart is so weak for this little guy! I just hope I can manage to get him to be a super good dog too. Raising him is not easy without other puppies. But I'm reading online and hopefully I will do good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jake got sick like that when I first got him; it ended up being a parasite called Giardia. Made him really sick and he had to go to the vet hospital for 36 hours. I keep a bit of the medicine that they gave him just in case he gets it again. Here's a bit more about it: http://www.canismajor.com/dog/giardia.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dave! I will check out that website to learn more. The vet said it was worms that caused it even though he got his first deworming 2 weeks ago. He was due for the 2nd one the day after he got sick. He is really back To normal now, if not better, and filled with lots of energy! Met the sister twice, and although he's excited at first, he gets a little scared when she bites him. Then suddenly it's not fun anymore! They already gave away the other 3 but I hope this one stay a little longer so they can play some more. He needs it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second what Alexandra said, so glad you were able to see the vet! And extremely happy to hear he's back to his normal self!! <3

    ReplyDelete