Friday, January 8, 2010

My "over all dinner experience" review - St. Regis

Yesterday I finally got to go out and eat something more sophisticated that pasta and sauce, as we went to St. Regis resort here in Bora Bora.

It was the GM, the F&B manager, and my hubby (Executive Chef) who took the big boat (private transfer of course!) over to St. Regis. It rained and rained so we had to rush in to the restaurant and I could not snoop around to see the some of the property.

The restaurant, Lagoon Restaurant by Jean-Georgesis located over the water and it was glassed in (luckily, because with the thunder and rain it would not have been fun with "open air") and probably amazing views if there is no monsoon rain! Club music was playing as you walked in to the bar area where we sat down for a pre cocktail. The bar and restaurant is very nice but you don't get a local feel to it. It is more "hip" but basic. But to my excitement they had wasabi peanuts!!! Soooo good!!
str1743re.35357_md.jpg
Lagoon Restaurant at St. Regis


We were seated and I have to say that the service was very good, like the service I would expect in the US where they always would be a step ahead and you never needed to ask for anything. But, question is, is this the service you want on vacation, or would you like a more local approach?? Living here it was nice for a change (made me feel like I was back in the states, which I miss!), but the local, more personal service (I still expect good service) which not always do things right is charming too. I think this is a very crucial point for travelers to think about before they go anywhere, really...

After being in the Caribbean and here you meet people who expect that things will be the same as at home, but people need to understand that it is a completely different culture. Food will be different and people will be different. Traveling is about being open to these new cultures and experiences and learn new things.

Dinner was good as well, and I went for shrimp as a starter and angus beef for main course, but the menu was rather small and they did not offer any specials... Not sure how often they update the menu but if I would stay at the resort, I would only eat once, maybe twice... We tried all the desserts! Yum!! It was chocolate, banana cake, apple and mixed fruit, all accompanied with different ice creams! I do recommend the mixed fruit with coconut ice cream, which was light and "fluffy" after all the food.

Over all I would say that the restaurant had good food, wine and service and I would definitely recommend it, but with no local/Bora Bora feel to it (if that's what you are looking for).

So, this is my review of the Lagoon restaurant just in case you are coming to Bora Bora!

Cheers my friends!

Camilla

No comments:

Post a Comment