Monday, September 13, 2010

Saying Good Bye

I just had the worst weekend ever!

Many things adding to the shittiest weekend ever, but one of the hardest things was when I had to leave Coco to his new "family". Before anyone says anything about "not getting a dog if you can't keep it", I just want to say one thing. Yes, I did want a dog, but I was not looking for one. One day Coco was laying on my terrace, 1 week old with a big wound that needed veterinary attention. Back home, all stitched up, the mother dog left him to attend the other 4 puppies she had. I was left to take care of this little puppy on my own, bottle feeding and everything that comes with a baby puppy. And I didn't mind.

I started to look up what was needed to take him with me the day we were leaving and things looked good. Rabies shot, micro ship and veterinary check up, but no quarantine! Then I looked up on the airline website to check the costs and it didn't seem to bad. They only showed the cost from Tahiti to LA, but even if it would be double the cost, it should be manageable. Things were looking good!

Then we contacted the airline directly and we received a full list of things necessary for the transport back to Europe. And the information we got was outrageous. Many things were manageable but everything had a fee. When we added everything up (everything included in just the trip itself, no prior vet bills included) the cost came up to $1500 dollars, which we do not have an extra $1500 just laying around.

So we had to rethink. Our landlord/neighbor said they could take him when we left, which I think is the (next) best solution. He would stay on the same property as he has known since he was born, and he knows the family and the dogs as well. It's a rough island and there are many street dogs, but where he grew up is all nature and fields where he can play (it's almost like a doggy park!)  

Then yesterday was finally the day I had to hand him over. I was so sad and I miss him so much. We said our good byes and the leach was handed over. As I walked off he looked at me, wondering what was going on, and he tried to run after me.  I went back and gave him a last hug and kiss before we had to leave.

This is not what I had hoped for when I first saw him, and I miss him so incredible much. He's such a great dog, so loving, and to me, the best dog ever! He's on my mind all the time, wondering how he's doing so far, and my tears are falling. I know he will be fine, and I will be able to see him many more times, but the thought that he will run to our house and we are not there makes med so sad. As well as many other things. I know he's "just" a dog and don't think the same as humans, but the bond between us is so strong.

Coco and I in Vaitape
I had 6 great months with Coco, and it's an experience I will never forget, and I will never forget him.

Cheers my friends,

Camilla  

1 comment:

  1. Camilla, my tears is falling just reading it!! P/SXM

    ReplyDelete