Tuesday, April 13, 2010

TV Channels

How long could you go without TV channels?

So, for about a month now, I have had my flat-screen TV sitting in my living room and it sure has been looking good. But, I have had TWO channels, which are both local... And may I remind you that I live in French Polynesia, at the end of the world and on top of that, my French/Tahitian vocabulary is yet nothing to be proud of.

From my time in the US I have been spoiled with always having something to watch on the TV, with 300+ channels to choose from and with "Tivo" to record shows when I was not able to watch for one or another reason. I followed all the shows, from all CSI, Grey's and Desperate Housewives to food shows and other random stuff.

Moving to the Caribbean was a change as I only had about 10 channels, mostly news, although they were Americans. Lost a couple of shows, but I had to manage.

The selection of channels in Bora Bora is mainly French! Again, my French sucks and all I can hear is one long paragraph when they speak. Once in a while I can make out one word that I know, or at least think I know. Moving to the house, where we have lived now for about 2 months, I HAVE NO CHANNELS! For two months.... Absolutely nothing!

Then last week, Daniel came home and had the "TV kit" with him! Now we just need to install it, and I will have about 26 (!) channels where I will probably watch 4! How exciting!

It's not that easy though! The satellite needs to be installed and aligned exactly to the degree noted. However, when we look at all the other satellite dishes, they are not turned the right way (according to the manual). A full day was dedicated to walk around with the satellite dish to try to find the right spot, with no luck... And the most amazing thing was that the best signal we got, was when the dish was turned to the wall of the house, when it clearly says nothing can be in the way of the signal (not even a tree)! Yea, this might take a while! And while we are at it, maybe we should get a few extra dishes, just as backup!

Courtesy www.tensionnot.com 

Cheers my friends!

Camilla

No comments:

Post a Comment